You vs The Other Guy (was PT Junior Developer)

The Rain Maker rainman at deroo.net
Fri Dec 6 18:53:55 EST 2002

**warning: long

>> Bah.  Certification can just mean you're good at taking tests.
>> Doesn't
>> necessarily reflect real world smarts, discipline, nor research and
>> hacking skills.
>>
>> A good interview, references and coding examples prove far more than
>> any
>> certification test.

Here I very much agree.

> what other options do you have?
>
> Its either:
>
> [Business] needs X, Y, Z
> Candidate has done X,Y,Z
> Candidate has never done X,Y,Z but certified to know how to do X,Y,Z.
>
> to some degree but I really wonder how many resumes a biz guy is going
> to get these days that all look the same.

Here you make a valid point. And I have sat on both sides of the table,
something in the same day. Running a  consulting firm means that either
my resume or the "company resume" needs to make a lasting enough
impression to get a second look. If you get that second look, you will
be remembered.

<soapbox position="high and mighty">

Now, as the person sitting behind the desk. I can say most definitely,
you're resume is nothing more than a bullet list of accomplishments. If
it's more than two page, 99% chance I won't read it (if it's four or
more, it won't even get to my desk for review). What *I* want to see on
a resume is a list of skills, who you worked for and when. That's
really it. Now if you want to make the "A List" pile (the ones I take
home and review at dinner/whatever), you *MUST* have a cover letter. I
want to know 1) what it is you want to do. 2) What it is you have done
that is related to my project/job. 3) Why you think you would be one of
my better choice.

Whether applying for a job, or trying to get 'that contract' these
truism hold. Other points I'll make for those who've read this far.

    o Unless you are applying for position in Europe, don't call your
resume a CV. You look stupid and ALT-F4 is a fast key stroke.

    o If you put your resume online on your own website, make sure it
looks the way you want in all browsers. *Nothing* makes you look more
incompetent for a (PHP|language of choice)/Web job than your own resume
looking dorked. *Don't* make any assumptions here. I use a Mac running
OS X. which means I could be in Mozilla, Opera or IE.

    o Make sure those you put down for references are going to give
*good* references. The law (In CT at least) requires that references be
giving and checked. If the person you give also able to confirm they
know you and the dates you where employed you might as well consider
that a bad reference. (I do)

    o This seems obvious, but don't lie. References are asked pointed
questions long delays in answers are generally not a good sign.

    o (Personal point here) A letter of recommendation is meaning less.
I can get ahold of much company stationary and produce as many of those
as I want
</soapbox>

All in all, have code examples and a working site to point generally
means more than anything. Certification mean even less to the
*knowledge* hiring manager.

.r (CNE, ECNE, A+, MCSE+I, CNP, ACE, and soon CCIE)