[nycphp-talk] Database vs. XML

Anirudhsinh Zala zala007 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 16 12:11:02 EDT 2002

Hi Bruce..

what's xml file ? a kind of db to store data..

but as other said.it's slow to access data..bcoz it's not well
formatted...query will take longer time than retrieving data from db..bcoz
db is well normalized and data is stored in proper way..

also u can't store well fornmatted data..into xslt or xml...
ya u can use them to store..less data compare to db..specially or common or
global data for which frequent access is needed.in those cases xml is useful
bcoz we don't need to access db frequently..

but this tech is new..and doesn't work as fast as db..

however we also use xml files to store data...which r used repetetively..but
not for storing larger data..

Sometimes xml r very useful for transferring data..perhaps this is the
excellent use of xml

when u need to transfer data from one db to other db or server then xml can
be very useful as it can also store..data with field values so while storing
data into other db, we can easily select db fields...from xml and store data
in exact manner as it was in previous db..

Thanks

Anirudh Zala