[nycphp-talk] Creating file for download on the fly?

cesar can at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jul 26 19:44:43 EDT 2002

if your user are using excel-2000 you can use the xml speardsheet format.
there is documentation on it somewhere on msdn.microsoft.com , somewhere.
i use http://homepage.tinet.ie/~jmcnamara/perl/WriteExcel.html , perl
module. i beleive it writes in an older format, but i'm sure it will do, i
just like the simple interface. for the xml format i would just create a
file and in the save as, save as xml speardsheet and look at how it looks.
there is also a libxls right now i can't remember the link, its a c
library no documenation but you can look at the sample programs to get an
idea... not that simple.... maybe if your curious.

my defense:
i do it easily in perl becase perl like the php program gets its data from
a c++ generted xml file and both use the same exact parser. why c++ a
lot of things need to get generated on the fly (php to slow for it).

this is what i currently do on my site as far as headers... i'm sure i
didn't even think when i did this, i just probably copied from somewhere:

/* no cache */
header("Last-Modified: " . gmdate("D, d M Y H:i:s") . " GMT"); //always modified
header("Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate");  // HTTP/1.1
header("Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0", false);
header("Pragma: no-cache"); // HTTP/1.0

/* application */
header("Content-type: application/vnd.ms-excel");
header("Content-Disposition: inline; filename=fund.xls");
header("Content-Description: PHP3 Generated Data" );
header("Content-Length: ".strlen($contents));
print $contents;

ciao i hope this helps.