[nycphp-talk] Sun and LAMP

Adam Fields fields at surgam.net
Mon Oct 28 10:38:37 EST 2002

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 07:25:59AM -0500, Jim Hendricks wrote:
> Thought you all would get a hoot out of this:
>
> http://www.theopenenterprise.com/story/TOE20021025S0001
>
> So, how many of you who are LAMP are also Java as Sun seems to think?
>
> I'll start by saying I'm a Java programmer who has added LAMP/WAMP to my
> repetoir.

As always, the right tool for the right job. PHP and Java are >not<
competitors. I'm finding that PHP is, in addition to being a decent
open application platform, an appropriate tool for rapid prototyping
of Java applications. As long as you use classes, it's not terribly
difficult to port PHP apps to Java.

This would be made much much easier with two features which PHP lacks
(which have just become my top two feature requests):

1) Server-side request forwarding.

2) Private and protected instance variables.

--
				- Adam

-----
Adam Fields, Managing Partner, fields at surgam.net
Surgam, Inc. is a technology consulting firm with strong background in
delivering scalable and robust enterprise web and IT applications.
http://www.adamfields.com