[nycphp-talk] Seeking Basic PHP IM/Threaded Msg Bd Suggestion

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Mon Aug 4 12:18:22 EDT 2003

--- Hans Zaunere <hans at nyphp.org> wrote:
> Otherwise, perhaps a PHP forum of sorts, but I don't know of a
> realtime chat system in PHP.

There's IRCG, which uses IRC somehow to provide real-time streaming to
PHP-enabled Web sites. There is a related project called TitanChat that I think
uses IRCG somehow. I know very little about it other than that, but you can
read more about it here:

http://schumann.cx/ircg/

A few years ago, I wrote a simple script to demonstrate how to control the size
of chunks when using chunked transfer encoding. Combined with a persistent
connection, this is how you can make "chat rooms" and the like with PHP. You
can check out my (rather lame, now that I look back at it) example here:

http://shiflett.org/tutorials/php_flush.php

Hope that helps.

Chris

=====
Become a better Web developer with the HTTP Developer's Handbook
http://httphandbook.org/