[nycphp-talk] mysql_fetch_array question (was off-topic database...)

Brian Pang bpang at bpang.com
Tue Aug 5 13:45:54 EDT 2003

Here are the basics of my way of dealing with this... I use this all the
time, so hopefully peer review won't expose some serious flaw! :)
(besides you often end up defining a bunch of variables you don't
actually need, but, you're smart, you can figure out how to change that)

$fooFields = array("foo.id", "foo.bar");
$barFields = array("bar.id", "bar.foo");

$result = mysql_query("select * from foo, bar");

$fields = array_merge($fooFields, $barFields);

while ($content = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
    for ($f = 0; $f < count($fields); $f++) {
            ${str_replace(".", "__", $fields[$f])} = $content[$f];
    }
    echo("
        foo.id: $foo__id<br>
        foo.bar: $foo__bar<br>
        bar.id: $bar__id<br>
        foo.id: $bar__foo<br>
}

I dunno if you would consider the double-underscore to be wacky variable
names or not. For me, since I use it so frequently, it works well and I
always know which table the data is coming from.
You can, of course, change the table/column separator to whatever you
like. I found __ to be unique enough to not conflict with anything else.
The "automation" of it is also really handy when dealing with lots of
fields.

enjoy

> On the subject of PHP, SQL, joins and the like, I encountered
something a bit weird and wanted to see what all of you had to say on it.

>  This is from the manual:
>
> "mysql_fetch_array() is an extended version of mysql_fetch_row(). In
>  addition to storing the data in the numeric indices of the result array,
>  it also stores the data in associative indices, using the field names as
>  keys.
>
>   If two or more columns of the result have the same field names, the
>  last column will take precedence. To access the other column(s) of the
>  same name, you must use the numeric index of the column or make an alias
>  for the column. For aliased columns, you cannot access the contents with
>  the original column name (by using 'field' in this example)."
>

>   so I have address fields, for example, that overwrite eachother. I
>  either have to make up wacky names for the database columns, or I have
>  to write out AS names for each (so using Select * is out). Now why
>  wouldn't they throw in an option so your results have table names in
>  front? So client.zip, owner.zip, etc. could all coexist? Doesn't that
>  seem reasonable?
>

> Josh
>

> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, jim.bishop wrote:
>
> > > I believe the best way to normalize your tables is to apply the
concept
> > > of wether the information is related to that ID and is not going to
> > > change or need to be archived. For example the users first and
last name
> > > and username/password and date of birth, etc are only related to this
> > > user and there is no reason to have additional tables, Addresses
on the
> > > other hand can change and history can be important depending on your
> > > project so a separate table for them is appropriate.
> >

> > i had been thinking of that as well.  i think you're right about the
JOIN