[nycphp-talk] php scalability

Lee Semel lsemel at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 19:30:04 EDT 2003

I am planning an e-commerce site, to be developed either in PHP or Java (preferably the former), but I haven't made my final decision yet.  One of the key issues is the ability to scale the site onto a cluster of servers, as traffic grows.

In Java, it seems that commercial application servers can handle this out of the box.  But I don't see how this can be done on PHP, and I'm wondering if anyone actually does this in a critical production environment.

How would you set up load balancing and failover on a PHP site? Is there any particular way you would design the application up front to make this easier?  I'm interesting in hearing your suggestions.

Lee