[nycphp-talk] form posts, back button, IE page expired

Mauricio Sadicoff mlevy at hypersol.com
Tue Aug 19 18:58:48 EDT 2003

On 8/18/2003 18:59, "Wellington Fan" <wfan at encogent.com> scribbled:

>> The only flaw that stood out to me was this:
>>
>>> header('Location: landingpage.php');
>>
>> While this actually works on most browsers, a Location header is supposed to
>> provide an absolute URL, not a relative one.
>
> Again, thanks! Its always a good idea to go back to the sources and read up on
> the HTTP spec once in a while... BTW, on this point, I have almost always
> passed in full URLs because browsers sometimes render the URL of the
> intermediate page if you don't. Another reason to read, understand & implement
> according to spec...

Hi,

I find this discussion very interesting, since redirecting is a subject that
comes up in just about every project I can remember. Also, I think I can
finally contribute my $0.02 to the list...

I'd like to point out that is usually safe practice to put an exit; line
after the header/Location call. I have been baffled by weird results more
than once, usually because something was echoed after the header call.

Best regards,
Mauricio

---
Mauricio L. Sadicoff            mlevy at hypersol.com
CEO / President
HyperSol LLC.                   http://www.hypersol.com

"Peace of mind isn't at all superficial, really," I expound. "It's the whole
thing. That which produces it is good maintenance; that which disturbs it is
poor maintenance. What we call workability of the machine is just an
objectification of this peace of mind. The ultimate test is always your own
serenity." - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.