[nycphp-talk] trouble starting mysql at boot time (RedHat 9)

David Mintz dmintz at panix.com
Mon Aug 25 14:21:22 EDT 2003

This RedHat novice is having trouble getting MySQL to autostart on boot.

Following instructions found in my MySQL book, I have put a symlink in
/etc/rc3.d as follows

[david at vernon0 rc3.d]$ ls -l S99mysql
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           16 Aug 25 12:02 S99mysql -> ../init.d/mysqld

and init.d/mysql looks like this

[david at vernon0 rc3.d]$ head ../init.d/mysqld
#!/bin/bash
#
# mysqld        This shell script takes care of starting and stopping
#               the MySQL subsystem (mysqld).
#
# chkconfig: - 78 12
# processname: mysqld
# config: /etc/my.cnf
# pidfile: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
# [ etc ]

and its permission are set thus

[david at vernon0 rc3.d]$ ls -l  ../init.d/mysqld
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1772 Apr 30 13:31 ../init.d/mysqld

I'm told this mysqld script is the beast that's also known as
mysql.server. My understanding is that when Linux boots and gets to
runlevel 3, it invokes the S99mysql script with an argument of 'start'.

When I reboot, I don't get any mysql starting and I can't find any error
messages saying what went wrong -- maybe because I don't know where to
look. /var/log/mysqld.log is empty.

I can't watch the boot process on the console right now because I'm
accessing the machine via SSH, so I reboot it, then log back in and look
in /var/log/boot.log, and it is silent as far as mysql is concerned.

Suggestions?

TIA

---
David Mintz