[nycphp-talk] looking for mailing list software or service

Bill Wolf wiw at nyc.rr.com
Wed Dec 10 23:47:41 EST 2003

Thanks for the replies

Win2K / NT - same basic thing, different version.  This server's W2K fwiw.

None of the MS backoffice stuff is setup.  It has IIS, ASP.net with basic
ODBC, MySQL or SQL Server, PHP, CGI - and Qmail with the lists function
disabled.

I looked at Lyris.  It can get very expensive.  The commercial version of
Topica seems a bit more reasonable at around $225 a year.  It's also really
friendly.

For a different site, I have one of those really cheap $4/month Linux hosts.
It has Mailman 2.1 which seems quite extensive - maybe too much so.  I've
been trying to customize and simplify the screens the end user sees but it's
been pretty hard.  They don't need to see all of the things related to open
discussions, digests, or managing their user options.  But even if I get it
right the admin piece is still going to be a little confusing for the people
maintaining the lists.

Ideally I'd like something simpler than Mailmain.  More user friendly.  And
hopefully where I don't have to pay 200 every year.

I've seen a lot of other PHP and ASP based list managers on Hotscripts.com.
Just wondering if there are any standouts that people here have implemented.

 Kind regards
 -Bill