[nycphp-talk] are enums verboten?

Malcolm, Gary gmalcolm at professionalcredit.com
Mon May 19 19:42:59 EDT 2003

my 2 cents:

	I started out loving enum fields, especially for storing the results
of select inputs from web forms. The romance was short lived. As I needed
more and more mined information from my db's, as well as having to create
more categories for the above mentioned selects the UNnormalized effect  in
my database took their toll on my short sighted design ideas. Basically,  my
way of thinking now is that if something in a table column changes with
greater frequency than the rest of the information in the row then it
probably should be pulled into another table. Hey, joins are quite speedy if
slightly complex at first :) A nice side affect of this practice is the
ability to keep a record of changes rather than just a write over of old
information (kinda roll your own tranactioning).

Gary