[nycphp-talk] Is it worth learning Python too?

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Wed Apr 14 11:20:54 EDT 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Joel De Gan wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 10:56, jon baer wrote:
> > Everyone seems to talk about Zope/Plone/Python and im trying to figure out
> > if its worth learning and worth applying to CMS-based stuff I have now ...
>
> I would say that is not a good "reason" to learn.
>
> I got interested in python by seeing the gentoo portage system and it is a very powerful language.
> In my experience though, I would recommend learning "lower" level languages instead of additional
> higher level languages. I.e. learn c, it is not a far shot once you have php down.

I sometimes assume that a lot of the advanced programmers on this list
already speak C. I wonder if that's so -- maybe I should put a survey on
the forum.

Anyway I've been looking for a good excuse to study C, having come at this
wonderful world from the top -- one of those non-programmer people who
started marking up HTML in the mid 90s, then got curious about how forms
get processed, and one thing led to another (and another, and another...)

Python looks like great fun, though.

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

        "Anybody else got a problem with Webistics?" -- Sopranos 24:17