[nycphp-talk] Bug Tracking

Jayesh Sheth jayeshsh at ceruleansky.com
Sat Dec 11 14:45:38 EST 2004

Hello Spot,

I have used Mantis, and found it to be quite good. It is good as a basic,
easy-to-use bug management system. It is certainly easier to use than
Bugzilla.

I am a big Mozilla fan, and I don't want to knock Bugzilla, but I think it
was always a tool written by programmers for programmers. Hence it always
had a hard-to-use interface.

FogBugz by Joe Spolsky's company, Fog Creek, is supposed to be really
good. It is not open source, but nevertheless has some well-received
features (including the ability to import Bugzilla data, I think.)

He has three different versions, one each for Windows, Unix and the Mac.

The Unix and MAc versions seem to use PHP, MySQL and Curl:
http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBugz/KB/setup/UnixReady.html
http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBugz/KB/setup/MacReady.html

The Windows version seems to offer support for Microsoft databases
including support for MySQL. It is unclear whether the Windows version
also uses PHP, but I think it must. (Why create two different versions for
two different platforms?)

Hope that helps.

- Jay