[nycphp-talk] installing mysql 4.1 (windows)

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Wed Feb 18 06:02:35 EST 2004

Adam Trachtenberg writes:
" But doing this would proclude me from using a MySQL 4.1
  client with that account, right?"

It seems to me that 4.1 is able to understand
the shorter passwords.

It looks like the asterisk in the password
plays an important part here.
(I haven't verified this by looking at any code)

I think that the 4.1 client will take a look
at the first character of the password and if it
sees an asterisk, it knows it is going to be
working with the new (41 byte) password
otherwise it uses the old (16 byte) style password.

I have a 4.1.1 alpha MySQL database for testing.
(running on Windows XP)

If I login from the command line, I can use a username
with a short password or a username with a long password
and see the (same) data in my tables.

In terms of migrating from 3.x.x I got the impression
that you are supposed to use  '--old-passwords'
instead of making different accounts.

This is because if the 3.x.x account user changes his
password it will be unreadable (being 41 bytes long).

T. Gales & Associates
'Helping People Connect with Technology'

http://www.tgaconnect.com