[nycphp-talk] PHP Functions toolbar??

Andrew Yochum andrew at digitalpulp.com
Tue Jan 27 13:45:14 EST 2004

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 12:39:31PM -0500, Mark Armendariz wrote:
> Something I've been wanting to do since I'd first delved into php is a
> browser toolbar (like google, and now msn) for searching the php manual.
> Unfortunately, I'm just barely starting with my C/C++ learning endeavor.
> Has anyone ever seen or written one?

I use this javascript bookmark (sometimes called a "bookmarklet") in my browser
toolbar:

    javascript:void(f=prompt('PHP Function:',''));if(f)location.href='http://www.php.net/'+escape(f)

Or if you want to pop a new window, you can do something like:

    javascript:void(f=prompt('PHP Function:',''));if(f)void(open('http://www.php.net/'+escape(f),'php function','width=600,height=400,scrollbars=1,resizable=1'));

For the new window one, if you want a more functional window, play with the
parameters on the end. See:

    http://devedge.netscape.com/library/manuals/2000/javascript/1.3/reference/window.html#1202731

To use them, just create a bookmark and drop the whole string
("javsacript:....") in as the URL.  I think it should work in IE and Mozilla,
although I only use Mozilla.

HTH,
Andrew

--