[nycphp-talk] php oo intro

Mitch Pirtle mitchy at spacemonkeylabs.com
Thu Jul 1 10:47:30 EDT 2004

Stephen Musgrave wrote:

>i have been using oo packages for quite some time but don't feel i know
>enough about them to write them effectively.
>
>i am wondering if there are any good intro articles out there that can be
>recommended.  the article should be targeted to the veteran PHP programmer
>while introducing the OO concepts, best practices while including a bit of
>foresight into what's coming in PHP 5 (especially regression issues).

I'm a huge fan of Harry Fuecks' PHP Anthology series, where he openly
states that his alterior motive is to bring us procedural cro-magnons
kicking and screaming into the NOW of objects.  The second volume goes
into design patterns and explains at length the methods behind the madness.

The books are published by SitePoint (www.sitepoint.com), and he also is
their resident blogger, providing a wealth of OO knowledge; and he also
runs his own site (www.phppatterns.com) where he discusses design
patterns in OO PHP.

HTH,

-- Mitch

P.S. The reason I recommend these books so much is that they were the
'whack upside the head' that I needed to fully grok OO with PHP.