[nycphp-talk] Roadsend

Jonathan hendler at simmons.edu
Mon Aug 22 14:30:30 EDT 2005

Hans, here's what Shannon at Roadsend had to say:

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for you interest in the Roadsend Compiler!

hendler at simmons.edu wrote:

> Hi,
> I am considering a purchase within the next 3 months for an
> application I want to distribute. I'm excited by the compiler but have
> more questions.
> I glanced at the FAQ, sorry if I missed something.
>
> 1. Are you planning PHP 5 support?

Yes we are planning PHP 5 support, but it will probably not be available
until a release sometime next year. Currently we are focused on adding
more extension support through a compatibility layer that will allow the
use of open source php extensions.

We are also working on adding the ability to compile an application with
a built in web server, so you can distribute web applications as stand
alone programs.

> 2. Are you planning Apache 2 support? The reason it only works under
> apache 1.x is because the complier can create an apache module?

Yes, but before native Apache 2 support shows up we will probably have a
better CGI interface (using FastCGI) that would allow the use of a
compiled apps under Apache 2, IIS and other web servers.

> 3. Did you run your benchmarks against php with eAccelerater, etc.?

The benchmarks posted on the site were run against a plain open source
PHP install.

> 4. For a stand alone webserver app - how does this work? I see that I
> would have to write custom HTTP output - but what handles incoming
> requests? Would I still bundle apache?

In the current release there is no easy way to do a stand alone web
server app.

The new feature we are working on that I mentioned above will embed a
small web server right into the final executable. When the executable is
run, it begins listening on a (customizable) port so all the user has to
do is point a browser to it. It will then begin serving (compiled) pages
like a normal PHP application.

You would not have to bundle anything besides the required binaries and
supporting files (images, external files the app uses, required
supporting libraries, etc).

> 5. If I write my own .so or use libxml2 or mcrypt, technically
> speaking, would I be able to create a binary that includes these
> libraries?

Our compiler will allow you to create a binary that uses external
libraries, but you are still responsible for adhering to the license
restrictions for that particular library. For example, if you create a
commercial, closed source application that requires the MySQL library,
they require you to purchase a license, as explained here:
http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/faq.html

On the other hand, libxml2 and libpcre are free to use commercially, so
it depends on the library.

> Thanks very much for your time.
>
> Regards,
> Jonathan Hendler

Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

Thanks,
Shannon
Roadsend, Inc.