[nycphp-talk] OT: Freelance PHP gig Not Paying up!

Mark Armendariz enolists at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 17:53:19 EST 2005

> As for small claims, I live by the truth that *nothing* costs less than
> $5k, regardless of price. Even if the market says $2k it's not true...
> everything costs more than $5k to manage should things go even slightly
> wrong.

This is untrue.  There is a great deal of good work in the small project
sector, but it takes experience to pick out the ones that will be 'good
clients'.  I've had my issues with horrible clients (one's that still send
threatening email and voice mails to this day), and I generally chalked it
up to experience.  In that past year alone, I've had at least 20 sub-$5k.
They were quick, easy, paid on time or even (gasp!) early - as in 100% up
front.

I'm a big fan of being careful, drawing up a solid contract, keeping a
lawyer on retainer, etc.  But the idea that anyone with a project under $5k
is a swindler is a horrible way to look at our business and is
self-perpetuating.  After 7 years in the business, I can honestly say that
some of my BEST clients could never afford someone with a 5 figure minimum.
And they come early and often.  Also, don't be mistaken, my hourly wage is
correctly expensive, as in, high enough to scare away those looking for an
intricate site for $500 and low enough for a serious client/professional to
afford.

What becomes largely important when fending for yourself (freelance) is that
you know how to pick a client.  Just like a big-budget company would be
smart to give you a small BS gig to test you, you should consider the same.
You do a small part of a larger project, and pay close attention to the
interaction.  How early and completely did they pay?  What changes were they
adamant about?  How well did they understand your timing, pricing and
process?  How did they feel about your paperwork (contracts, specs, etc)?
Did they treat you as a professional or a hack?  Did they call you at 3am to
complain about pixels?

I've known incredibly successful managers who wouldn't hire someone until
they've had a solid night of drinking between them.  This is a similar
idea.  Getting to know someone before introducing them to your wife.

In business we tend to forget that we're dealing with people.  The swine out
there make this plenty easy.  I'm proud to say that of all my clients (about
15 regular clients, internationally) have no need for contracts regardless
of the size of the project.  Sure, projects that make it to the high 5/6
figure level include contracts, but that's mutual protection for all parties
involved (including the likely investors). Otherwise, I send invoices so
they can report for tax time, and I write proposals for their clients, but
my relationship with MY clients are solid.  We've chosen each other as we
would choose a friend.  Reliable and honest.  This, to me, is the ideal way
to do business, and better yet, to live (which freelancing tends to cross
borders with regularly).