[nycphp-talk] [OT] - NYC Salaries

Eric Gewirtz egewirtz at suscom.net
Thu Aug 3 13:18:06 EDT 2006

Hi Joe,

I'm from the New York area - grew up in Queens (Howard Beach) and Jersey -
went to college in Manhattan - I now live 50 miles north of the city - I
love it here and for now would not live anywhere else -

As someone else mentioned the big issue is cost of housing and rentals too
are high. It is easy to find an apartment but you really have to spend time
and look around. The neighborhoods in all of the NYC boroughs are very
diverse and they change from block to block. Plan on spending a good few
weeks touring and talking to people on the streets especially local business
people (cleaners, florists, restaurant owners, etc) they will give you good
info. Be sure to check out the neighborhoods both daytime and evening (they
can be much different). Before you rent, call the local police precinct and
ask them what they think of the neighborhood, they know best and most of the
cops are pretty cool and will be glad to offer you their opinion.

As to keeping a car in the city, make sure you have parking, parking on the
streets sucks, and you can really mount up on the parking tickets. I would
not limit yourself to Queens, there are some really nice neighborhoods in
Brooklyn these days. Manhattan would be the best but the rents are crazy.

Make sure you check out what schools your kids would go to, unless you plan
on sending them to private school. A lot of the city public schools are
great, especially if you kids are good students, they offer amazing
specialty schools but if you kids are just average students and they are in
the "wrong" school you may not be too happy.

Btw - I hope you do not plan on driving to Ellis Island, unless your car
floats :-)

Eric