[nycphp-talk] oracle to buy zend ???

Matt Morgan matt at jiffycomp.com
Tue Feb 14 17:13:04 EST 2006

Scott Mattocks wrote:

>Joseph Crawford wrote:
>

>>why does anyone have to buy out zend, isnt the company doing well enough on
>>it's own 2 feet?
>>

>It isn't about saving Zend from financial ruin. Its about grabbing a
>hold of their market share and profits. If they buy Zend, they own all
>of the Zend products. Then they get the money from selling them and they
>can control the development. They can make Zend products really easy to
>integrate with Oracle. That means people will be more likely to buy
>Oracle products.

Honestly, it's another big-business vote for PHP, and (hopefully) for
open-source. Despite some success, Oracle's never been quite as
successful as they'd have liked on the applications front (did they ever
succeed in buying PeopleSoft? I can't even remember). Not that I'm
saying it's a good or bad thing overall, but if you were Oracle,
wouldn't you like to have zillions of PHP programmers (and a few good
ones :-)) able to write useful applications quickly for your platform?

I realize it's just a rumor, but Oracle sees the wind blowing away from
java, toward PHP, like the rest of us. That's why it's a believable rumor.