[nycphp-talk] Book recommendations - security, object-oriented programming

Aaron Fischer agfische at email.smith.edu
Thu Jul 6 11:07:55 EDT 2006

Greetings,

I'm working on a project that has me thinking about purchasing one or
two books.  The topics I'm interested in are:

1.  Security.  Discussion of practices for password storage and
retrieval.  Transmission of data in a secure manner, e.g. encrypted,
https, certificates, etc.  Also methods of cleaning/filtering/scrubbing
data received from web forms.

2.  Getting up and running with object-oriented programming in PHP.

Detail:

1.  The project I am working on will allow users to create accounts.  I
need to think about the best way to store their passwords and allow them
to retrieve if lost, change if they so desire, etc.  As the information
is somewhat sensitive there is a possibility I will need to be passing
it via https vs. http.  Scrubbing and filtering the data to make sure
nobody is intentionally or accidentally messing with my application.

2.  To date I have been working primarily with procedural programming
techniques.  I am considering the benefits of object-oriented code for
this project.  Ideally the book would include a discussion of benefits
of using object-oriented code.

Thanks,

-Aaron