[nycphp-talk] Cake v. Symfony [CodeIgniter?]

Rick Olson rolson at aeso.org
Thu Sep 14 21:03:20 EDT 2006

Sorry for this incredibly short answer, but I'm a tad rushed... (  so no
reasoning either =(  )

We use Symfony at my company.  Large scale, high traffic.  It's a bit
buggy, a lot bloated, and the slowest thing I've seen in some time.  I
don't recommend porting over to it.  Sorry :\  One really big reason for
this is their use of ORMs.  If you just avoided Propel or their soon to
be Doctrine (maybe?) implementation, Symfony would probably go quite a
bit faster.

Also note that they are still not at 1.0, and their API changes and they
aren't even expected to maintain much backward compat. at this point.
Adopting it in a critical environment is probably not a good idea, at
least not until they hit 1.0 and start making promises about maintaining
as much BC as possible, etc..

On a positive note, their code is incredibly clean, documented, and elegant.

HTH,

Rick