[nycphp-talk] [OT] Next meeting

Kenneth Downs ken at secdat.com
Thu Apr 12 16:08:25 EDT 2007

Have you ever considered a database primer?  A very simple presentation
could be built around a handful of ideas:

1) Vocabulary demystification,  column=field, tuple=row=record,
relation=table, foreign key = reference, primary_key = "code" or unique
value

2)  Why you can do so much with primary and foreign keys

3)  Is normalization a black art, or a simple matter of technique

4)  What do people mean by denormalization, why do some people hate it
so much?  Why do others say it is no big deal?

5) Finally, why programmers have trouble with databases and why database
people have trouble with code, the so-called "impedance mismatch".

I'd be happy to prepare something.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.