[nycphp-talk] Questions to ask at a job interview?

tedd tedd at sperling.com
Sun Jul 8 13:01:23 EDT 2007

At 7:13 PM -0400 7/7/07, Ben Sgro \(ProjectSkyLine\) wrote:
>Hey again,
>
>So, I had a string of interviews over the last two weeks.
>
>I have just hired one candidate that I believe will be a good
>addition to our company.
>
>I ended up using the Joel Spolsky (or whoever coined this) question:
>
>I have two variables and I want to switch their values.
>
>Some candidates totaly froze, and other's got it quickly.
>
>I also showed some source code, a *small* 150L script, and asked
>them what it did.
>
>Not only was it commented, but the function & variable names are
>extremely obvious.
>Some looked in awe and said, "this is a small script?" while some
>took a few minutes
>and looked over the code, then attempted to explaint to me what it did.
>
>Overall, it was a great experiance. I look forward to finding new
>talent to add to our growing
>company.
>
>Thanks for all the responses and feedback!
>
>- Ben

Ben:

I hate interviews and I hate test. Both are usually conducted/written
by people who have less talent/knowledge about the subject than the
people they expect to hire.

When it comes to programing, what I provide to my employer/client is
not just me, but rather a collection of experience, knowledge,
talent, computer, and resources -- it's a package deal.

If you want to test any of those elements separately, then you're not
testing my capability. You might as well ask my computer if it plays
well with others.

Solution -- give me a task and time to complete it -- and then review
my code and let me explain how it works. After all, that's what you
should be concerned about, right?

Cheers,

tedd

--