[nycphp-talk] Character set issues revisited

Cliff Hirsch cliff at pinestream.com
Fri Oct 19 13:39:06 EDT 2007

There was recently a thread about some character set problem. I just found a
similar issue. I just transferred a site from a Windows XP dev. platform to
rhel. Everything looks fine except for a few special characters.

Windows   -> rhel
it¹s           -> it?s
‹            -> ? (should be the long dash, an em I think)
Œblahblah¹ -> ?blahblah?
³                  -> ?

In phpMyAdmin I see: can¹t
In my app, I see: can?t
So phpMyAdmin is displaying things correctly on either platform.

Page Headers:
My page: <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
charset=iso-8859-1"> (on both windows & rhel)
phpMyadmin: <meta http-equiv="Content-Type"  content="text/html;
charset=utf-8" />

The charset headers are the same on both machine. I might have mistakenly
imported some of the database files with the wrong collation setting, but I
change it to be the same on both platforms. And these errors appear on
pages/code that was brought in via subversion, not the database.

Where should I start looking? What is the best charset to use anyway?
Iso-8859-1 or utf-8?

Thanks,
Cliff