[nycphp-talk] About Formalizing an Enterprise PHP and the PHP+ Developer

Urb LeJeune urb at e-government.com
Wed Apr 23 13:42:20 EDT 2008

>1. What's required to become certified (obvious);

         To you is obvious, to me not so obvious :-) I know I sound
like a broken record but to me
programming is not about syntax it's about logic and problem solving.

         Many years ago Edsger Dijkstr, one of the giants of computer
science, wrote an article
suggesting that a first course in computer programming be taught
without using a computer.
At the time I thought he was nuts, but after teaching introductory
programming for many years
I agree with the concept. Especially in the beginning, syntax get is
the way of solving problems.
Any non-trivial problem will have multiple solutions. How does one
determine if their approach
is the "best" solution to the problem and not simple a solution that
works. In my experience
elegant (read simple) solutions do not happen while you sit at a
keyboard but rather sitting in
a quite place with a pad and pencil.

         If you've never read "Programming Pearls" by Jon Bentley,
beg, borrow, or steal a copy
and read it. It will change the way you look at programming.

Urb

Dr. Urban A. LeJeune, President
E-Government.com
609-294-0320  800-204-9545