[nycphp-talk] About Formalizing an Enterprise PHP and the PHP+ Developer

Peter Sawczynec ps at sun-code.com
Thu Apr 24 05:35:52 EDT 2008

Now this roll up (redisplayed below) from Time Lieberman is excellent
and elegantly captures what a real PHP+ programmer would be. And in
reality and based on my own experience too, this skill set is exactly
what is most often needed and even silently tacitly expected when you
step into an advanced PHP programmer job OR you will likely need all
this knowledge if you are independently consulting and taking on entire
web site design, development and maintenance.

--------------- START: T. Lieberman advanced PHP+ rollup ------------

I want someone who can (among other things):

- Administer UNIX-like servers. Including some basic understanding of
package management, and also (especially?) compiling from source.
- Can at least make their way around a windows/IIS type system.
- Understands version control systems (for me, CVS + SVN, but you'd
probably need to understand VSS in the cert exam).
- Knows how to program.  Understands how to optimize (and when).
Understands recursion.
- Has a good knowledge of object-oriented things.
- Knows their way around major design patterns (MVC, Singletons,
Factories, and so on)
- Understands SQL -- you might be a PHP-expert, but if you're writing
bad SQL your app will suck (unless it eschews SQL entirely -- how often
does that happen).
- Understands XML parsers.
- Understands some common XML-based standards (SOAP, RSS)
- Knows how to write a cron job that will actually work.
- Can manually interact with an SMTP server (via telnet)

--------------- END: T. Lieberman advanced PHP+ rollup ------------

I would suggest to any average PHP programmer who is looking for a hot
list of "what do I need to know" to really get ahead. Then you can use
the above list almost like bible, the above knowledge set (with or
without a cert to test you) is a very good full tool kit of skills that
will make you a very valuable and versatile member/manager on most any
PHP job -- full time/part time/freelance.

My list below, I would suggest then, is very good knowledge set for a
beginner/intermediate level.

--------------- START: P. Sawczynec beginner/intermediate PHP+ rollup
------------

-- State/cookies/sessions
-- Database related
-- Email
-- Forms
-- File handling and uploads
-- Internet/SOAP/CURL

Educate yourself roughly committing time to concepts in these
percentages shown below:

 5 % -- Package(s) and install
 5 % -- PHP .ini
15 % -- Security
20 % -- Functions
25 % -- Classes
 5 % -- Error Handling
 5 % -- RegExp
10 % -- PEAR/PECL
 5 % -- Version Control

--------------- END: P. Sawczynec beginner/intermediate PHP+ rollup

Well, well something quite good has already come of this thread.

Peter