[nycphp-talk] calculating state taxes?

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Wed Aug 13 16:59:14 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 4:46 PM, David Krings <ramons at gmx.net> wrote:
> Kenneth Downs wrote:
>>
>> Susan Shemin wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a shopping cart and need to calculate state taxes on the products
>>> for the state the business is in.  Is there some type of script/code that
>>> already is set up to calculate this?
>>
>> Tax tables are available from NYS gov site.
>>

> I think the request is to get a table for all of the US states, which then
> should include county differences and potentially even city taxes. I know up
> here in the Electric City area the sales tax is 8.00% to 8.25%.

Funny thing, I've never been asked what county I live in by an online
retailer. And sales tax rates definitely vary by county.

I think the standard approach is to put your head in the sand and hope
the state attorneys general never decide to go after e-tailers for
taxes owed on the last 7 years worth of sales. ;-)

All kidding aside, this is an issue that is probably best answered by
your lawyer and/or accountant, and not by the wisdom (wise as it is)
of this list.

   chris.