[nycphp-talk] Transitioning from Beginner to Intermediate PHP

Ken Robinson kenrbnsn at rbnsn.com
Wed Jan 16 23:38:36 EST 2008

At 08:00 PM 1/16/2008, B.A.S. wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>
>I'm trying to move from being a rank beginner to an intermediate
>level of programming PHP. While practicing & trying to learn
>something new every day, I'm also reading up on security (Essential
>PHP Security by O'Reilly & Pro PHP Security by Apress).
>
>Unfortunately, I still have a really tough time trying to work out
>the logic of what I want a script to do, and my code is pretty
>primitive & verbose because of that (I have to painstakingly step
>through each little bit of logic in order to wrap my head around anything).
>
>What I should be doing to get to the next level? Should I read up on
>web application design? OOP? Just keep plugging away? What do you
>guys use when working out the logic of an application you're
>building? I'm guessing that would be some kind of flow chart?

I would join one of the on-line PHP related forums. I joined the
PHPFreaks forum <http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php> 2.5 years
ago and found it very helpful.

>What about IDEs? Because of my HTML coding & graphic design
>background, I'm still using Dreamweaver--would I perhaps learn
>faster or be more productive using Zend Studio (or even something
>less expensive like phpDesigner)?

I've never used Dreamweaver, so I can't tell you anything pro or con.
I've used TopStyle Pro, since it's very good at HTML, CSS, & PHP
editing. I would also recommend installing a local copy of
Apache/PHP/MySQL on your everyday computer, so you have a place to
experiment. I use xampp <http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html>
on my Windows XP laptop. I've been able to develop code on Windows
and upload to my Linux host with no problems.

>Please forgive the numerous questions, but I'm 40+ years old and
>want to approach this professionally, not just be some hack who
>writes sloppy code for for beer & pizza money and doesn't care about
>the client.

Questions are one of the best ways to learn. And don't worry about
being older, I didn't start to learn PHP until I was almost 50 (47 or
48 to be almost exact).

Ken