[nycphp-talk] need help about cms design

anthony wlodarski anthony at thrillist.com
Tue Jun 3 16:38:18 EDT 2008

CMS is just a term for fancy text editor.  I would check around to see
if you can just find an off the shelf product and play with it.  There
is usually no reason to reinvent the wheel unless it is going to
outperform your current competitors.  Drupal (my current punching bag)
can take a beating and then some and is flexible enough to allow you
to customize it to your content.  Now I don't want to discourage you
from learning about the inner workings of a fancy text editor because
it is good knowledge to have but keep in mind that the time you spend
reinventing the wheel could be spent improving the current wheel which
is already stable and works (and has a good support base).

-Anthony

On Jun 3, 2008, at 12:58 PM, Steve Manes wrote:

> birgunj birgunj wrote:
>> i am trying to design and build the cms(content management system)
>> from scratch.how to design the database for cms and how to start
>> coding for this.
>> i need help about this.if anbody has any idea,supporting
>> material ,please share with us.
>
> I think your first step is to define what a CMS is, at least for
> your purposes, and why the existing open source wheels need to be
> reinvented again.  From an ERD perspective, I'd design the data
> store to be polymorphic which the application would aggregate as a
> set of nodes defining a blog article, a comment, a forum post, etc.

> NYPHPCon 2006 Presentations Online
> http://www.nyphpcon.com

Anthony Wlodarski
Web Applications Developer