[nycphp-talk] naming identifiers

lists at nopersonal.info lists at nopersonal.info
Sun Aug 30 12:01:06 EDT 2009

Kristina D. H. Anderson wrote:
> Bev,
>
> Good morning to you as well!  I'd imagine that yes, the table-creation
> widget inside phpMyAdmin probably does execute the queries that way, as
> that seems to be its default mode.  I'm not sure if you can change
> settings to remove that behavior...

I don't know if it can be changed either, but I'm certainly going to be
more careful from now on.

> There are a lot of reasons to like phpMyAdmin (well, a few reasons at
> least) but also a lot of reasons to hate it.  For instance, once the
> database reaches a certain size, you won't be able to back it up using
> phpMyAdmin, but will have to use the command line.  That's sort of lame.
>
> At the bare minimum, if you're going to use phpMyAdmin to create
> tables, do it in raw SQL instead of using the widget.

I'll have to try that. I think I'm also going to see if I can talk my
employer into getting paying for Navicat. It caught the table naming
issue right away, so that's a plus. Besides, having a tool that allows
me to see a graphic representation of my table relationships helps
tremendously as I need to  see things in order to learn & retain them.

> PS I'm wondering what my mother would say if she knew I spent basically
> my entire weekend talking about databases..."that's no way to find a
> husband, Kristina" is what she'd probably say...and she's probably
> right.  Lucky thing I'm not looking for one....!

LOL! Hey, I'm 47, contentedly divorced, spend all my time on the
computer smoking & drinking coffee, and my only house mates are my two
cats. I think I'm well on my way to being that weird old lady that all
the kids in the neighborhood are afraid of. :)

Bev