[nycphp-talk] Implementing Version Control

Paul A Houle paul at devonianfarm.com
Mon Mar 30 09:45:15 EDT 2009

Rob Marscher wrote:

> I'd say look into a hosted version control service.
>
> My favorites for svn version control (which would let Windows users
> use Tortoise, Mac users use Versions or command-line, and Linux users
> use a number of different clients -- all can also use plugins within
> Eclipse) are http://cvsdude.com and http://beanstalkapp.com.
>
> GitHub seems to be everyone's favorite for using git version control -
> http://github.com.  Git might be the right solution for you if you are
> dealing with a team that is very spread out because developers don't
> have to worry about conflicts as much and you are more in control of
> what changes make it into the final code.
    Personally I love using git on the unix command line.  At the moment
I'm using it in a mode very similar to CVS:  I've got a central
repository and multiple instances of the  software that are pushed and
pulled to it.  If anything,  I find git on the command line to be easier
than CVS.

    My understanding is that GUI clients for git are currently pretty
immature,  particularly on Windows,  which might be a problem for some.