[nycphp-talk] Issues with File Permissions

Randal Rust randalrust at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 09:33:09 EDT 2011

We have a site where if we create a folder or file on the server the
Owner/Group is one name (foo/foo) and if we use the CMS the
Owner/Group is another (bar/bar).

Typically, we set folder permissions to 0777 so that we don't have to
open and close directories for uploading files. However, a hacker
uploaded a couple of files to one of these directories last week, so I
am trying to add code that uses chmod() to properly open and close
directories.

The issue I'm running into is that this only works through the CMS if
the Owner/Group of the directory or file is bar/bar.

I'm trying to figure out what my options are here. Here are a couple
of possibilities:

1. Use bar/bar to create a duplicate directory, copy all of the files
from the original directory to the new one, delete the old directory,
rename the new one. Essentially this makes everything owned by
bar/bar.

2. See if tech support can change the Owner/Group on the server for
the entire directory.

I am not very savvy with this sort of thing, so shell access is really
beyond my skill set. Is it possible to change these settings via SFTP?
Or is there a way via PHP to change the Owner/Group that I am
accessing the files as?

--
Randal Rust
R.Squared Communications