[nycphp-talk] BDD: Behat, Codeception...

Rob Marscher rmarscher at beaffinitive.com
Fri Nov 9 19:14:57 EST 2012

I haven't checked out Codeception too much and I haven't fully incorporated
any BDD in php.  But I am very interested in BDD in general.  I think the
Gherkin DSL is nice because it lets project managers or other people that
might be helping to write specs get involved in the tests without needing
to know php (https://github.com/cucumber/cucumber/wiki/Gherkin).  I think
the "magic" of it is pretty light.  You still end up writing everything in
code.

I've seen people chatter on github and irc about integrating behat with
lithium -- seemed that they didn't even need to write a plugin for it.

In general though, I've struggled with whether or not to integrate a BDD
framework in php.  We do a lot in javascript, so it seems to make more
sense to drive our bdd tests from the browser using testacular (
http://vojtajina.github.com/testacular/) and jasmine (
http://pivotal.github.com/jasmine/).  And leave the php testing to be unit
and integration tests (which are provided out of the box with lithium).

-Rob